Art Nouveau Style Metal | Objects
Art Deco Style Metal | Tea & Coffee
Industrialism Style Metal | Vases
Modernism Style Metal | Lamps
Timeframe 1890 - 1920 Ceramic | Tableware
Timeframe 1920 - 1940 Ceramic | Vases
Timeframe 1940 - 1960 Ceramic | Steins
Timeframe 1960 - 1980
Sort by designers name Glass | Tableware
German Bauhaus Glass | Vases
German Werkbund Other Glass Items
Sort by Manufacturers
Currency Converter
Paperworks by Artist
Paperworks by Style
About the collection Contact us via email or phone


Theodor Bogler 
Hafgeismar 1896 | Andernach 1968

In 1920 Theodor Bogler (1897 - 1969 ) trained in the ceramics workshop in Dornburg, near Weimar, an annex of the Bauhaus school. From 1923 to 1924 he ran the workshop with his Brother in Law Otto Lindig and encouraged the production of industrial designs. In 1925, Bogler became the artistic director of the Velten-Vordam factory, near Berlin. He entered the Benedictine Abby of Maria Laach in 1927 and was ordained as a priest in 1932. He produced designs for the Karlsruher Majolika Manufaktur from 1936 to 1948. His works are collected in important collections, among them the MoMA collection. Theodor Bogler is listed at artnet.com

Theodor Bogler studied at the State Bauhaus in Weimar between 1919 and 1920, attending the preliminary course taught by Johannes Itten and classes by Lyonel Feininger. He spent the following summer semester in Munich so he could study architecture and art history at the Ludwig Maximilian University and the Technical University. From 1920 to 1924, Bogler attended the Ceramics Workshop at the State Bauhaus in Weimar in Dornburg, which was directed by the sculptor Gerhard Marcks and pottery master Max Krehan. This is where he completed an apprenticeship as a potter and took over the business administration of the workshop for a short time. He passed the journeyman’s examination at the Crafts Chamber of Weimar on 15/07/1922. Among other works, he created well-known ceramics such as a Mocca Machine or variations of the Combination Teapot.

In December 1924, Bogler left the Bauhaus Weimar in order to direct the model and form workshop at the Velten workshops of the Velten-Vordamm stoneware factories near Berlin starting in 1925. In 1927, he entered the Benedictine Abbey Maria Laach in the eastern part of the Eifel region. He studied philosophy and theology here and at the Beuron Archabbey on the Donau River from 1928 to 1933. This was followed in 1931 by his ordination as a monk and in 1932 by his ordination as a priest. At the same time, Bogler continued to work as a ceramicist. From 1934 to 1938, he was occasionally active at the Hedwig Bollhagen workshops in Marwitz near Velten. After 1948, he headed the art workshops and the Ars Liturgica art publishing company at Maria Laach. He also created designs for the State Majolika Manufaktur Karlsruhe.

Literature | Weber, Klaus: Theodor Bogler; in: Keramik und Bauhaus. Catalog Bauhaus-Archiv, Berlin 1989

Collectibles by Theodor Bogler